A 20x20 level to test grid performance out on.
Friday, May 29, 2009
I got the shaders for projecting grid lines and highlight squares worked out. This method is very easy for the grid but doesn't project correctly over any models placed on the terrain.
The alternate method is to project each grid line square independently which would allow for the definition of moveable squares, but might cause some performace hits for doing up to 2,500 of them in a scene.
Posted by Kristopher Peterson at 10:08 PM
I was taking a look at a few other tactical games and counting out squares to see how large the grids were. Jean d' Arc had the smallest map sizes with the majority of them being 20x20 and larger maps 25x25 or even 30x30. Xcom maps varied from 30x30 to 60x60 for the larger ship missions. Larger still were Jagged Allince 2 maps with sizes around 75x125 or so and each level is based off a larger grid map with all the sizes being the same. While smaller maps like Jean d' Arc would be lighter on asset usage and texture sizes, its a bit too small for a ranged combat game. I think 50x50 would do well for a default map size so I did some renders of tiles at that size with some characters placed and mock up miniature buildings for scale.
Another test of tile scale puts the tile at 5' and the spacing seems pretty good for closely positioned units. They don't look too bunched but they should also have enough room to move around a little bit in the animations and not clip through nearby units too much. And, 10' happens to work perfectly with the tile tools.
Posted by Kristopher Peterson at 1:16 AM
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
I updated the map a bit while failing to get the scripting working that I wanted to get done. The grid is partially working but the projector won't tile the shadow map so increasing the volume size only scales up the grid. The tweaked lighting and fog looks much better...and dudes are now holding guns.
Posted by Kristopher Peterson at 2:54 AM
Thursday, May 21, 2009
It's probably the worst method ever to implement, but I have firing projectiles. Couldn't figure out how to get the projectile to spawn at his chest position and still fire. Need to get them colliding with other objects as well, but I don't think that will be difficult, there are plenty of examples.
Posted by Kristopher Peterson at 2:14 AM
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Monday, May 18, 2009
Here's a test of some outdoor tiles used to test different height levels. The number of pieces needed to create the varied heights and get them to lineup correctly is tedious and would be difficult for any sort of automated tile tool I would think.
Posted by Kristopher Peterson at 3:44 PM
Here was a quick test of a tileset for use with Revolt. Still trying to figure out size and these ended up being slightly too big for the character proportions. I think the final size is going to be 4' tiles and 8' high. The textures used here are only 2 256x256 and I think this will be the final size as there is plenty of detail for an isometric perspective game like this.
Posted by Kristopher Peterson at 3:38 PM